by Duane S. Crowther
This book provides valuable writing tips that will help authors grow!
In Write with Power and Confidence, the president of a respected publishing firm shares four decades of book-industry knowledge and experience in this very valuable work. A prolific author of more than 55 books and 35 talk CDs, and the managing editor and publisher of more than 700 books, Duane S. Crowther knows his subject well. He provides both authors and publishers with many valuable tools and thought-provoking tips of the trade in this concise writing and publishing guide.
The book includes:
- 349 valuable tips for writing fiction.
- 331 useful techniques for writing non-fiction
- Guidelines for writing for children and teens
- Writing to meet publishers’ needs
- A subject-matter analysis of past years’ best-selling trade books
- A subject-matter analysis of past years’ best-selling religious books
- Basic publishing-industry practices: sales, printing, marketing
- Royalties: how authors are compensated
- Negotiating publishers’ contracts for your books
- Observations on book pricing
Three hundred forty-nine valuable tips for writing fiction are provided, followed by a similar listing of 331 tips for writing non-fiction. Suggestions for writing for children and teens, including educator-approved vocabulary lists for grades one through six, are also furnished.
Much of the book is based on professional monographs he has written for book-industry professionals which have been adapted for authors. During several national booksellers conventions the author surveyed many of the nation’s major publishers, drawing together information on essential publishing practices. These surveys were later published to the industry in Publishers Weekly. Further research is drawn from his MBA thesis, which was written on the publishing industry, and from other recent industry studies.
The book provides a host of useable facts which give authors essential information on what sells, how it is advertised, when it is produced and released, how manuscripts are selected for publication, what makes a book a best-seller, how royalties are calculated, how to submit their manuscripts and much, much more.
Every publisher, author and potential author can benefit significantly from this unique, useable book. It’s a goldmine of valuable information!
- Guidelines for Writing Great Fiction
- Guidelines for Writing Great Non-Fiction
- Guidelines for Writing for Children and Teens
- Writing to Meet Publishers’ Needs
- A Subject-Matter Analysis of Best-Selling Trade Books
- A Subject-Matter Analysis of Best-Selling Religious Books
- Basic Book Publishing Industry Practices: Sales and Printing
- Basic Book Publishing Industry Practices: Marketing
- How Authors Are Compensated: Royalty Policies
- Negotiating a Contract for Your Book
- Observations on Book Pricing
- Current Book Industry Trends
- The State of the Industry: An Analysis of 1997 Sales
6″ x 9″ paperback