by Duane S. Crowther
How to Understand the Book of Isaiah is a unique book that focuses on the life and times of the great prophet Isaiah and the glorious messages he conveyed to all mankind. Isaiah’s writings are difficult to grasp unless one has detailed knowledge of the history of his day, and unless one has extensive knowledge of the prophesied events of the last days. The author has supplied those essential keys very effectively.
Isaiah wrote and prophesied of events in four distinct periods of time: (1) during the era of Assyria’s rule, (2) during the period of Babylonia’s domination and the Babylonian captivity of the Jews, (3) during the time of Christ’s earthly ministry, and (4) the last days. It is impossible to understand his writings without discerning which period he is discussing. The great contribution of this book is that it clearly identifies which period of prophetic fulfillment is being discussed, and it reorders the Isaiah chapters so they can be read in chronological order for each of those four eras of prophetic fulfillment.
The book also provides concise information about Isaiah: the date of his mission, who he prophesied to, the contemporary kings of his time, the national conditions that prevailed, an explanation of the style of the book and transmission of the test, date of authorship, points of Bible criticism, changes made in the Inspired Version, and other valuable data.
Comprehensive historical chapters detail the kings and major events of each historical period. Listings and analyses of the major doctrinal themes included in the Book of Isaiah are presented. A listing of Isaiah’s prophecies about the last days is also provided, coupled with a detailed description of fifty key last-days events! Interpretive comments on items of doctrinal interest are made.
How to Understand the Book of Isaiah is a valuable aid to understanding the messages and prophecies of one of the Lord’s greatest spokesmen.
- Information About Isaiah and His Times
- Critical Information About the Book of Isaiah
- Historical Summary: Assyria—Fall of Israel
- Section 1: The Fall of Israel to Assyria
- Section 2: The Fall of Judah, Babylonian Captivity, and the Return from Exile
- Section 3: The Ministry of Christ in the Meridian of Time
- Section 4: The Last Days
- Six Major Doctrines of the Old Testament
- The Nature of God and Godhood
- God’s Communication With Man
- The Nature of Sin
- The Nature of Man’s Agency and God’s Judgment
- Counsel For Righteous Living
- The Events of the Last Days
- Insights from Joseph Smith’s Inspired Version
6” x 9” paperback