by Barbara G. Salsbury
Tasty Imitations has been prepared to help families cope with the growing need for good, nutritious meals which don’t require meat. Textured soy proteins, also known as textured vegetable proteins., are nutritious and economical meat substitutes. They are beneficial in many ways: variety, convenience, availability in lower-cost bulk quantities, and usefulness as food-storage items are few of their many virtues.
The 138 great recipes in this book use textured vegetable proteins in place of meat. The first chapter, Protein and Proper Nutrition, addresses the nutritional issues involved, while Chapters 2 and 3 explain exactly what Textured Soy Protein is and provide detailed Suggestions and Aids for Cooking with T.S.P.
Then come the recipes! Chapter 4 presents Recipes for Beef-Flavored T.S.P. Using Regular Grocery items, while the next chapter gives Recipes for Beef-Flavored T.S.P. Using Home Storage Items. The same pattern is followed in Chapters 7 through 13, which cover Bacon-Flavored T.S.P., Chicken-Flavored T.S.P., Ham-Flavored T.S.P., and Sausage-Flavored T.S.P.; first providing delicious recipes for use with regular grocery items and then easily prepared recipes correlated with common long-term storage foods. This combination makes Tasty Imitations an excellent book both for every-day usage and a valuable reference for family emergency-readiness programs. The recipes are delicious and widely varied. They include such items as Beef on a Bun, Sloppy Joes, Chili, Casseroles, Stews, Cupcakes, Pizzas, Soups, Hash, Skillet Dishes, Spanish Rice, Chow Mein, Pot Pies, Salads, Chowders, and recipes using legumes and dried beans.
Tasty Imitations is well known and respected as a source of easily prepared, delicious recipes that every member of the family can enjoy. It’s a homemaker’s delight, and well deserves the subtitle it carries: A Practical Recipe Guide to TVP and Meat Substitutes.
- Protein and Proper Nutrition
- Textured Soy Protein
- Suggestions and Aids for Cooking with T.S.P.
- Beef-Flavored T.S.P.—Using Regular Grocery Items
- Beef-Flavored T.S.P.—Using Home Storage Items
- Bacon-Flavored T.S.P.—Using Regular Grocery Items
- Bacon-Flavored T.S.P.—Using Home Storage Items
- Chicken-Flavored T.S.P.—Using Regular Grocery Items
- Chicken-Flavored T.S.P.—Using Home Storage Items
- Ham-Flavored T.S.P.—Using Regular Grocery Items
- Ham-Flavored T.S.P.—Using Home Storage Items
- Sausage-Flavored T.S.P.—Using Regular Grocery Items
- Sausage-Flavored T.S.P.—Using Home Storage Items
- Legumes or Dried Beans
5” x 7” paperback